INDICATIONS AND USAGE
CYSTADANE (betaine anhydrous for oral solution) is indicated in children and adults for the treatment of homocystinuria to decrease high homocysteine blood levels. Homocystinuria is a rare genetic disorder in which there is an abnormal accumulation of the amino acid homocysteine in the blood and urine. The following are considered to be homocystinuria disorders:
- Cystathionine beta-synthase (CBS) deficiency
- 5,10-methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) deficiency
- Cobalamin cofactor metabolism (cbl) defect
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
- Hypermethioninemia in Patients with CBS Deficiency: CYSTADANE may worsen high methionine blood levels and accumulation of excess fluid in the brain has been reported. If you have been told you have CBS deficiency, your doctor will be monitoring your methionine blood levels to see if changes in your diet and dosage are necessary.
- Most common side effects were nausea and gastrointestinal distress, based on a survey of doctors.
- To report SUSPECTED SIDE EFFECTS, contact Recordati Rare Diseases Inc. at 1-888-575-8344, or FDA at 1‑800-FDA-1088 or www.fda.gov/medwatch.